Friday, August 17, 2007

Myspace Stalker who isn't Me.

About a week ago, I received a very unusual email on myspace.com. A stranger who went to Cornell sent me an email professing his love for this girl I barely know on myspace. The three-page email is a virtual stalker's manifesto of why this "nice guy" (his words) would be great for her.

Here are some snippets:

"I need your help. I'm John (name changed to protect identity of stalker), a really great straight single guy, fun and outgoing guy, and I believe I am a great date."

---Talk about a great intro...


"No worries, it's not you I'm trying to pick up... I try to treat women well, with respect, and sometimes I try really hard to date the one I want to date, but it's not been easy for me to ask her out when I've met her online."

---I admit to being a little hurt at this point. I thought he was my stalker.


"Some guys can understand, how it's not always easy to ask a woman of your dreams out, whereas others are really good at it. I am asking for your help if you can help me with a woman who I have been friends with online for 3 years (time flies), and she is on your Myspace friends list. Her name is
Jane (name changed to protect the innocent), she's a great woman, and I believe that she is very capable of going on a date with me and able to set aside the time for a successful, smart, hardworking man who is interested in dating her."

---I am completely sympathetic

Admittedly so, I have asked her out previously, but have not successfully had the opportunity to date her. I've sent her emails and try to let her know that I'm a great guy to date, that I like to have fun, and I offered to take her to concerts, a cup of coffee, and more. I'm confident I can date her, and my goal is to date her successfully, as I really liked her as a person, her confidence, her belief in me as a person, and thought she would be a fun person to date.

---Alarm Bells!

----

What boggles me the most is that I barely know this girl-- and I am just one of 400 friends on her profile. I can't imagine that this guy actually canvassed her entire friends list with this ridiculously long email-- but if he did, and he is serious-- it is possibly the saddest display of stalkerdom, since my blog post in July, explaining my own myspace accident.

No comments: