Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Smugness of Tom Brady




I don't talk much sports, but i feel compelled to say a little bit about how much I dislike the Patriots and Tom Brady.

Some people feel that there is nothing worse than a smug human being. I find, however, that I am far more perturbed by humans who act completely humble, because I suspect they are closet-cocky people . Tom Brady fits this mold for me. He always has the perfect humble answer for every question reporters throw at him. I keep waiting for him to slip up and talk in the third person about his greatness like a regular football player. Something like "What? I am Tom Brady.. TOM f'ing BRADY. I am a living Legend. Of course I was going to break that record."

All season long I have maintained the hope that not only the Patriots would blow their perfect season, but that the drama would force Tom Brady to cry. I still think this is on the table... especially as the post season draws down.

It would be doubly satisfying if Coors Light turned Brady's conference cry-session into one of those commercials where they pretend to be having a conversation with the coors light guys.

Coors Guy #1: Brady... what happened to your beer?
Brady: (referencing game) I... I... just... fumbled...
Coors Guy #2: It's alright, Brady.. we have more beers...
Brady: It's not alright!! I lost it!! Okay I lost it!
Coors Guy #1 and #2 exchange wide-eyed glances.

Yes. That would be sweet.

7 comments:

Rachel Ross said...

Nice blog...sensitivity with a sense of humour...but take it easy on poor Tom Tom, though. He'll accept responsibility, credit the other teams for a game well played, and fly off to St. Tropez with a new supermodel or one of the Bush twins.

It seems that most guys don't like Tom Brady, usually because they don't understand how hard is to be good looking. Take it from me, and I should know, sometimes it's hard to be a hottie.

CJ said...

Nice blog comment, Ms. Rachel. You make a good point about the difficulty of being ridiculously, ridiculously good-looking. I think it is fair to say that there is a fair degree of Brady-envy in this world.

But there is something about Brady that just seems disingenuous...

He did knock-up and leave his girlfriend... doesn't that make him lose some points with the women of this world?

CJ said...

Also, Rachel... do I know you from somewhere?

Brice Lord said...

You know her from when I slept with her and never called her back. I told you about it and we both laughed until we cried. Your neighbor called the police. They only gave us a warning. We said that we'd finish laughing about it sometime later.

Anyway, Brady isn't smug at all; Bill Clinton is smug, George Clooney is smug, Brady is just another humble "there's no 'I' in team" professional sports player. He's exceptionally talented at looking hot and at football, so he's a natural target of animosity, which I cannot identify with at all, so I love him. He's my opposite. Good at sports, rich, talented, and good-looking. Wait, maybe I do hate him...

Rachel Ross said...

Losing points with the women of the world? Maybe, but Tom can impregnate me any time he likes. :) It sounds like our friend Brice, too, would not be averse to a roll in the hay with Mr. Brady!

blahgger said...

Brady has everything going for him. I root against him because I prefer the underdog. But, I do have a certain amount of respect for any star athlete that comes from the Bay Area. Other star athletes from the Bay include the Phillies' Jimmy Rollins (receipient of the '07 NL MVP and Gold Glove awards), '07 AL Cy Young winner CC Sabathia and All-Star pitcher Dontrelle "D-Train" Willis of the Detroit Tigers. Oh, and of course, Mark Madsen.

PS-Rachel Ross must be a serious "Friends" fanatic.

CJ said...

Yes. I heard that Rachel changed her last name to Ross in the late 90s as the success of "Friends" began to take-off...