Monday, October 8, 2007

"Youngblood" -- Best Movie Ever?



I didn't plan to stay up until 4AM, it just happened. It happened because of the mesmerizing power of a film. A film full of gravitas, well-developed characters, and perseverance. Yes, I am talking about the seminal film "Youngblood" starring Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze.

If you haven't seen the film, you've probably heard it bandied about it locker rooms, or in some impressive twist during a game of six degrees of separation. IF you have ever met a pro hockey player, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he said, "I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for that movie." The same is true of me-- its 0405AM and I wouldn't be on my computer writing about the power of 80s cinema if it weren't for a film called "Youngblood."

The story weaves an epic tale of a farmer's son who dreams of playing pro-hockey. I was a bit confused by this initially, because farms usually exist in warm climates, and hockey players exist in cold ones.... but if you put this small gripe aside, you have a gem of a film.

Rob Lowe is truly in peak form. His stints in Tommy Boy, The West Wing, and as a real-life adviser to Governor Schwarzenegger (why does one actor playing a politician hire another actor who plays an adviser?) do no justice to this powerful performance. I have never been a Rob Lowe fan, per se. But this movie changed me. I now see why he was cast in all those other roles. I am sure someone in the casting department said "that guy from Youngblood wants a part in [insert name of film/tv-show]?... [insert excited expletive] Yeah! We will take him!"

Patrick Swayze also turns in an outstanding performance. I always thought Dirty Dancing was the pinnacle of his acting career (followed closely by "Ghost," mind you), but now I know I was wrong. Very wrong.

See "Youngblood" immediately, if it is the last thing you do.

Also, quick-note: whoever did the Youngblood movie box cover (featured above) seems to have used a digital camera from the future. Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze look absolutely identical to their modern day selves.

Grade: A

No comments: